12.16.2007

First Blood

After looking through my pods complex monitor system, I discovered I was in the middle of space. I found that odd and discomforting. As I thought about it I tried to remember if I got drunk last night, but for the life of me could not remember anything that happened before I found myself in this pod. I decided to not let that derail the experience of being a pod pilot, so I set off to see what my frigate could do.

As I looked at the controls, I realized that I have no idea how to pilot a starship. I thought to myself "Hmmm... maybe I should let that stupid AI go through it's introduction on starship controls." I plugged her back in and immediately heard that same annoying two tone voice saying "Hello, I am Aura" and swiftly unplugged her again. I think I'd rather mine veldspar than listen to that voice. How hard could flying a starship be anyway?

I looked around the pod for some sort of controls but soon discovered that all that was in my pod were displays. So how do I control this thing? I though about how I could possibly get my ship to move. I then noticed a sticky stuck on my monitor that said "Point and click" Could the controls possibly be that simple? Only way to find out is to try. I moved my cursor to the area in space I wanted to fly and clicked. My ship suddenly shuddered and started moving, accelerating to full speed in a matter of seconds. Easy enough I thought, now what is this red cross in front of me?

I tried to remember back to my training when I again realized I can't remember anything past the pod. I'll assume that it is something I can shoot, seems how red usually means bad... that or I will just destroy my chance for dinner tonight. I navigated towards the red cross until it became clear of what it was. It was another ship. I figured out how to lock on to the ships signature radius and decided to orbit the ship at one kilometer. At that point it began to fire upon me. How do I Use my weapon systems? I noticed little icon of a gun and thought "Maybe that will do it." so I clicked it, sure enough, my frigate started firing back. I also noticed what looked like a laser icon right next to the gun and thought "A laser, that would be awesome to use." so I clicked that icon to. Instead of the sight of lasers firing from my ship I was greeted with a small little pop up that informed me that I can not mine another ship, I can only mine asteroids.

Who the hell puts mining lasers on a pirate frigate? I decided after I kill this ship my first objective would be to get a second turret to arm my frigate with, but that will come later. for now I am going to work on blowing up this other ship.

No comments: